Fedor Emelianenko wonāt fight again for Strikeforce in 2010, said his M-1 Global management on Thursday, as the two entities will continue negotiations into the fall to try and hash out an extension to their existing co-promotional agreement.
Strikeforce and M-1 Global are on the third and final event of their contract, a deal which includes the services of Emelianenko, formerly the No. 1 ranked heavyweight in the world until his June 26 defeat, as the headliner.
Both promotions had hoped to come to a new agreement in time to have Emelianenko participate in a Dec. 4 event at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Mo.
Evgeni Kogan, M-1 Globalās Director of Operations, said the earliest Emelianenko could compete again under this arrangement would be at a yet-to-be-announced Jan. 29 event.
Kogan also confirmed to Sherdog.com on Thursday that the Russian-based promotion was in New York this week to meet with Strikeforce and broadcast partner Showtime. In addition to a contract extension for both M-1 Global and Emelianenko, discussions were started regarding a potential deal to air the foreign promotionās homegrown M-1 Challenge event on the U.S. pay-cable network.
The M-1 Global rep said negotiations on all fronts were ongoing and āpromising.ā
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker was not available on Thursday to comment on this weekās meetings. Coker previously told Sherdog.com that should the two promotions not be able come to terms on a contract extension or new agreement, Strikeforce has āfirst rights to negotiateā should M-1 Global and Emelianenko seek out another offer elsewhere.
Emelianenko, 33, saw his unparalleled 27-fight, decade-long victory streak come to an end with a stunning 69-second submission defeat at the hands of Fabricio Werdum on June 26 in San Jose, Calif.
The former Pride heavyweight champion has bested five former UFC champions during his tenure.